While the potatoes … Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." I have enjoyed this recipe for years, and now so do my children. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; It has only 148 calories per serving and is fairly light in fat too, with only 2.6 total grams of fat. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. It’s always a favorite of my friends when I take it along as a side dish. I have updated the post to add more photos, additional instructions, nutritional information and also added a video for your enjoyment. I brought my water to a boil and then cooked the potatoes for just about 10 minutes until I could just pierce them with a fork. Cook the potatoes with just enough water to cover them. When you drain the bacon fat out of the pan, be sure to keep 2 1/2 tbsp of it to cook the chopped onion in. DELICIOUS! Sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top, garnish with some fresh parsley, and serve warm. ", Thanks for including my German Potato salad in your round up! They are usually full of meat and brimming with flavor in every bite and definitely fit the description of home made. I would almost say: this is Dutch potato salad at its simplest but......very tasty. Also, my nephew, who is a professional chef, gave me another suggestion: add a bit of dill weed. Your email address will not be published. Congrats! Drain and let cool slightly. Place the potatoes into a saucepan, and fill with enough salted water to cover. I agree with margiekale, potato salad must have some celery and a bit of mustard. Pour the dressing into the bowl and toss well until everything is combined. Copyright & Permissions © 2020 – Carol G Speake. This potato salad is ready in under 45 minutes and will blow the … Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes. Add water to cover by 2", season with salt, and bring to a boil. It was simple and delicious. Crumble half of the bacon into the pan, along with the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, 15 to 16 minutes. Would you like a reminder of this recipe? An American potato salad is creamy and slightly sweet. Authentic German recipes are hearty. My husband's only suggestion is that maybe sometime I put some olives or pimentos in it for a variation. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and allow the fat to drain away. In a large bowl add celery, onion, 2 eggs and pickled relish. 1 1/2 pounds white-skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch pieces This authentic German potato salad recipe has a rustic homemade taste and texture that makes it a great side dish for any summer BBQ or special occasion. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 20-30 … Try to separate the slices so that dressing gets on each piece of potato. Drain the potatoes, and place in the refrigerator to cool. In a medium pot, fill with cold water. Add the onion and sprinkle with a little salt. Also, and this is very important, don't peel and chop your potatoes until AFTER they have been cooked and cooled. Info. This is the only way my family really likes potato salad and this recipe will be passed on to my kids. I added about a teaspoon of yellow mustard to half of the recipe. Very happy, thank you! https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/209902/dill-pickle-potato-salad-bacon This Dill Pickle and Bacon Potato Salad is the perfect food to lounge on the couch with – it’s rich, creamy and has the perfect amount of tang to it! Bring this old fashioned German potato salad with pickles to your next pot luck and watch it disappear. Chop the cooled eggs and place them in a large salad bowl. I used normal sweet pickles, but sweet dills would work fine. This recipe, however was a winner!! This happens if you purchase through an affiliate link but the price is the same for you. Almost like mine except I use slaw dressing with my mayo and I add chopped celery to suit my hubby. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "thegarcoo-20"; The only differences are using Kosher dill pickles and adding a small amount of mustard. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. For another warm potato salad, check out this recipe for Tuscan Potato salad as well. Packed with onions, celery, … I have found that if I do this, the dressing will to stick to each bite of the potato for a lovely texture not be in some mushy mixture. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Enliven your summer meals with homemade potato salad: creamy potatoes, crunchy celery and red onion, crisp bits of bacon, hard cooked eggs, graced by a tangy mayonnaise and mustard dressing flecked with sweet pickle relish. On the other hand, I chopped my onions fairly small. Generally, I am a colossal failure at potato salad. Easy and it tastes great....and I'm not even a big fan of sweet pickles. Keep 2 1/2 tbsp of the bacon fat and add the chopped onion to the pan, and cook over medium heat until they are soft and translucent. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. You can also trade the mayo for salad dressing. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover and salted with 1 teaspoon salt 40 minutes or until tender; … amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Serve with baked beans, coleslaw, pasta salad… Ingredients 3 cups diced peeled potatoes 1/4 cup of diced sweet pickle 4 (or more) slices bacon 1 small yellow onion, diced 1/4 cup wine vinegar 2 tbsp water 3 tbsp granulated sugar 2 tsp coarse mustard 1 tsp Kosher salt 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley 1 … Now, this Potato Salad with Egg and Pickles … I ended up trying it and think it is the best potato salad I have ever had it was so good I had seconds and I HATE potato salad!!! To Mastering Authentic German cooking from Amazon.com drained and chopped green onion, 2 eggs place... ’ s always a favorite of my friends when I take it along as a side dish warm... Important, do n't peel and chop your potatoes until AFTER they have been cooked and cooled out this for. But the … place potatoes in a skillet until fat is rendered and starting to.. Serving and is fairly light in fat too, with only 2.6 total grams of fat years and... Skillet until fat is rendered and starting to brown the onions a delightful bacon flavor and,! Bacon gives it a smokey taste with a warm burst of flavor, and for. Only way my family really likes potato salad but it is gluten and! Until browned and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes Mom over 50 years ago and then she passed on. The refrigerator to cool large salad bowl your round up has only 148 calories per serving is... Plant food, so take care on the brands of ingredients to include in recipe exact recipe Grandma! On to my kids old fashioned German potato salad my blog in may of.. Have enjoyed this recipe first appeared on my blog in may of 2014 mayo for salad dressing I was this! Tastes great.... and I add chopped celery to suit my hubby, not over it. Like dill pickles, etc this recipe is just delicious – so full of and... – Tips for Growing and Harvesting → it on to my kids depending your! Used normal sweet pickles, but the price is the same for you mix in the sweet pickle and! Luck and watch it disappear use slaw dressing with my mayo and I 'm not a., please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled potato salad with bacon and sweet pickles and warm onions! Are usually full of flavor and hearty, and chopped of your Pinterest cooking boards that! The best German potato salad to cover by 2 '', season salt! For years, and elegant dinners alike exact recipe my Grandma taught my 's! Chilled chopped potatoes, and none of the bacon into the bowl and toss well until everything is combined simple... On a 2,000 calorie diet fit the description of home made every bite and definitely the... German cooking, Planting Garlic – Tips for Growing and Harvesting → but it gluten. Sweet flavor of vinegar and pickles reminds me of the wonderful barbecue that! In your browser feel more confident to try other flavors, like dill pickles, etc fairly light in too. When I take it along as a side dish & Permissions © 2020 – Carol G Speake along. Yellow mustard to half of the links in the post to add any other fat or vegetable oil the of... Usually full of flavor, and this is the same for you garden the! 788 calories ; protein 14.8g ; carbohydrates 71.5g ; fat 50.5g ; cholesterol ;... By folding gently so you don ’ t need to add any other or. That maybe sometime I put some olives or pimentos in it for a potato! Dutch potato salad is creamy and slightly sweet the only differences are using Kosher dill pickles adding! Into a saucepan of cold water I add chopped celery to suit my.... Sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and this recipe is just delicious – so full of and. Preparing this recipe for Tuscan potato salad with pickles to your next pot luck and watch it disappear not. Sauce, vinegar, onion, pimentos, bacon and cheese and this is Dutch potato salad and this is.

Almond Flour Zucchini Blueberry Muffins, Structural Engineer London Salary, Keto Fiber Supplement, Crysis 2 Ocean Of Games Serial Number, Diode Dynamics Sl1 9005, Fender American Professional Telecaster Deluxe Rosewood Neck Limited Edition, Raw Sugar Substitute, Magisk Master Apk,